Memphis is the second most populous city in Tennessee, with 633,104 residents. The town is located along the Mississippi River and is known as the “Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock ‘n’ Roll.” With the historic Beale Street, Memphis has the second most popular entertainment district in the United States, falling short only to Bourbon Street in New Orleans.
However, this lively city also has a dark underbelly. Memphis has a crime rate that is 237% higher than the national average. Problems like this are why mental health facilities in Memphis, TN, are crucial to helping residents address substance abuse and mental health issues that often contribute to crime.
The Mental Illness Crisis in Memphis
Mental illness is prevalent in Memphis, and untreated mental health conditions can increase substance abuse and crime rates. In Memphis, 17.9% of the population reported having poor mental health.
In Tennessee, one in 5 children has a mental health disorder, and one in 20 adolescents has a substance abuse disorder. This affects older adults as well. 937,000 adults in Tennessee have a mental health condition.
Each day in Tennessee, an average of three people die by suicide. As of 2016, suicide is the second leading cause of death for young people (ages 10-19) in Tennessee, with one person in this age group lost to suicide every week. Psychiatric hospitals and treatment facilities can go a long way toward suicide prevention.
The population to mental health provider rate in Shelby County, where Memphis is located, is lower than Tennessee’s. There is only 1 mental health provider for every 2,229 people.
How Mental Health and Substance Abuse Are Linked
Many people who struggle with mental illness turn to substance use as a method of coping. In Tennessee, 6.5% of residents over 12 struggle with substance use disorder (SUD).
From 2019 to 2020, Shelby County saw a 45% increase in fatal overdoses and an 85% increase in fentanyl overdoses. Since January 1, 2023, Shelby County Health Department suspected 398 drug-related overdoses, 73 of which resulted in death.
Of the 1,451 deaths from a drug overdose in Tennessee in 2015, nearly 200 occurred in Shelby County alone, and over 70% involved opioids. In 2017, more Shelby County residents died from opioid overdose than car accidents.
These alarming statistics show that a treatment center in Memphis may not be the best solution, as you are still close to any triggers and negative influences. Removing yourself from this environment slightly may be beneficial to your recovery.
Mental Health Disorders We Treat
In many cases of drug dependency, individuals suffer from co-occurring disorders and begin using substances as a coping mechanism. Our dual diagnosis program focuses on treating both the addiction and the underlying causes of it to ensure long-term recovery and promote TRUE wellness.
We treat many mental health conditions, including common ones such as:
- Acute Stress Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Psychotic Disorders such as schizophrenia
Our Mental Health Programs
TRUE provides different levels of care at our rehab center to establish a successful path to long-term recovery for patients at any stage of drug addiction or mental illness.
- Residential Treatment provides round-the-clock medical supervision to patients who live onsite at our luxury treatment facility. They may first enter a detox program or use medication management to help during the withdrawal period before spending each day undergoing various therapies to begin their healing.
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is an intensive outpatient treatment program. In this program, patients attend treatment from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. PHP gives patients structure during a comprehensive treatment program that blends evidence-based and holistic therapies. Since this is an outpatient service, patients can return home in the evenings.
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) is a day treatment program that transitions between inpatient treatment and the return to daily life. IOP is a flexible treatment option that allows patients to maintain their daily routines or remain employed due to our evening schedule. While in recovery, patients are given a comforting and supportive environment to focus on their journey toward wellness.
- Sober Living offers structured housing that provides additional accountability through drug tests and curfews. Sober living is often used with PHP and IOP and makes for an easier transition back to daily life and obligations. Patients receive recovery coaching, life coaching, peer support, and relapse prevention tips during this aftercare plan.
Our Mental Health Services
Our various treatment options allow patients to utilize services best suited to foster their growth and development as part of their comprehensive treatment program. Some of our mental health services include the following:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is intense talk therapy that involves reframing the patient’s thinking and behavioral patterns, allowing them to develop coping skills and improve problematic thought patterns.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) helps patients by reducing self-destructive behaviors that create negative consequences and changing them into positive ones. Patients can align their actions with goals by learning coping skills and emotional regulation.
- Group therapy provides a safe space for patients to share their experiences and emotions. By doing this, patients are freeing themselves from the isolation they created during their struggle, receiving validation and support from their peers, and building new relationships to help them recover.
- Family therapy breaks down the barriers between patients and their loved ones and opens a dialogue that allows them to reconnect with those who care for them. This will enable patients to gain a support system, and family members can heal from any wounds caused by the patient’s actions.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) involves a non-judgemental and empathetic conversation with a therapist to help increase our clients’ motivation to change their behaviors. By exploring each individual’s values, goals, and concerns, the approach identifies and reinforces self-determination to begin making more positive changes.
- Holistic Therapy goes beyond the symptoms of addiction by treating the whole person to balance their physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being. We use methods such as yoga, guided meditation, art therapy, and music therapy to encourage new habits and reduce stress so patients can improve their mental health and discover hobbies without substance use.
Local Resources Near Memphis, TN
Our team has created a list of resources to assist those struggling with addiction or mental illness. Accessible resources are a necessity to start your path to wellness. We know recovery is challenging, but we’re here to help.
- Crisis Text Helpline
Text “HELLO” to 741741
- Tennessee Addiction Hotline
- Tennessee Crisis Line
- Tennessee REDLINE
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline
- Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis
6019 Walnut Grove Rd, Memphis, TN 38120
- MH Methodist University Hospital
1265 Union Ave, Memphis, TN 38104
- Regional One Health Extended Care Hospital
890 Madison Ave, Memphis, TN 38103
- Saint Francis Hospital-Bartlett
2986 Kate Bond Rd, Bartlett, TN 38133
Mental Health Centers
- Lakeside Behavioral Health System
2911 Brunswick Rd, Memphis, TN 38133
- Downtown Psychiatry Services
364 S Front St Suite 201, Memphis, TN 38103
- Memphis Mental Health Institute
951 Court Ave, Memphis, TN 38103
- Unity Psychiatric Care
1505 N 2nd St, Memphis, TN 38107
Recovery Centers For Addiction Treatment
- BHG Memphis North Treatment Center
2165 Spicer Cove #5, Memphis, TN 38134
- Grace Land Recovery
134 Timber Creek Dr, Cordova, TN 38018
- Memphis Recovery Centers
219 N Montgomery St, Memphis, TN 38104
- Serenity Recovery Centers
1094 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38105
Why Choose TRUE?
TRUE’s treatment team is a leader in treating mental health conditions and providing expert care. Our treatment facility creates personalized recovery programs with each patient’s unique needs in mind. We don’t settle for temporary relief.
Our focus on community collaboration and local outreach allows our patients to build the future they want and discover their authentic selves. Patients enter our programs feeling lost and hopeless, but we have the tools to reignite their passion for life and send them back into society with a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
Should Travel Fit into Your Treatment Plan?
TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health, located in Murfreesboro, TN, provides mental health services to people who would otherwise struggle alone, such as the 3,224,296 people in Tennessee who live in areas with insufficient access to mental health professionals.
Although recovery options exist in Memphis, seeking treatment in an area surrounded by the hostile environment that contributed to your issues may create difficulty in long-term recovery. Making the journey to our center can be worth it to find a treatment plan that prioritizes your well-being. A fresh outlook can help you begin healing free from distraction.
We’re More Than a Short-Term Solution
TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health provides quality care to help patients toward long-term recovery. Our state-of-the-art rehab center and comprehensive treatment programs can release the heaviness of your burdens and guide you toward a lighter life.
Our experienced and dedicated team is available with 24/7 support to start your recovery process. Reach out today at (615) 338-6235 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to begin your journey.