Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) occurs when there are hindrances in the brain. There is disrupted functionality in the nervous system. This, in turn, affects attention, impulse control, and activity.
ADHD impacts attention span and carrying out daily activities. It can interfere with concentration and focus, making paying attention to work and school difficult. Time management becomes a struggle when it comes to prioritizing and keeping up with responsibilities.
The hyperactivity aspect can lead to interrupting others and participating in risky behaviors. This can have a detrimental impact on an individual’s self-esteem.
TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health’s ADHD treatment center in Murfreesboro, TN aims to improve the overall symptoms of ADHD. Our goal is for our patients to maintain a high standard of living and wellness.
Understanding the Impact of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
More than 8 million adults have ADHD, and many are completely unaware. The symptoms are often ignored or self-diagnosed as stress or the consequences of a busy lifestyle, leaving symptoms unmanaged.
In the United States, millions of children are diagnosed with ADHD, most occurring in adolescence between the ages of 12 and 17. Children tend to be diagnosed with ADHD because of environmental factors, and in some cases, this may be misdiagnosed. As of 2003, 2.5 million youth ages 4-17 were diagnosed with and received medication at an ADD/ADHD treatment center in Tennessee.
It is difficult to determine whether or not genetics play a role in the diagnosis of ADHD in children because their bodies are still growing and developing. However, that does not entirely rule out genetics as a root cause.
One of the misconceptions about ADHD is that people diagnosed can’t focus at all. They can focus, but sometimes it’s not on the right thing at the right time. Their attention is preoccupied with other things. ADHD impacts a person’s short-term memory. It’s the working memory that can’t retain what a person needs. Usually, long-term memory stays intact.
Though it is often the first step, medication is not the only way to cope with ADHD. An individualized treatment plan can provide relief through the use of other modalities. TNSTEP was created to serve parents in and around Murfreesboro, TN with resources and information about ADHD.
Why Choose Us for ADHD Treatment?
TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health’s ADHD treatment provides essential care to individuals experiencing challenges from ADHD. Our treatment team begins by first identifying our client’s needs. We assess your mental health status and understand your symptoms and any underlying factors, such as other mental health disorders and substance use disorders (SUD).
T.R.U.E. stands for Transforming Roots Unto Eternity. We stand on a set of values that we practice daily. Those include:
Transformation: Challenging people to be willing to change into the person they have dreamed of becoming and change their beliefs into a life of TRUE purpose and value.
Connection: Creating an environment for a person to find their TRUE authentic self, connecting to love, honesty, integrity, passion, and purpose while being in a conducive safe place of refuge.
Community: Developing a TRUE meaning of belonging without judgment on their values, goals, and beliefs.
Courage: A daily reprieve to find the strength to pursue your hopes and believe you can do it by being persistent without relenting to achieve the result you sought to find.
Consistency: Having faithfulness to be firmly grounded and rooted into your cause to locate purpose and the TRUE meaning in life.
Love: Having no judgment, being kind, gentle, patient, not resentful, forgiving, understanding, compassionate, and sacrificing to serve others, all while being TRUE to self.
Our Approach to ADHD Treatment
Effective treatment, access to rehab programs, and proper education are critical. Those actions can dramatically improve the quality of life for our clients and their loved ones. We provide an environment that creates a supportive healing platform that can transform the brokenhearted into being restored.
Our approach to ADHD can come in various forms, depending on your needs, and includes the following:
Holistic therapy is an alternative treatment service that focuses on the whole person, not just specific addiction-related symptoms. Our therapists consider our clients’ physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being, allowing them to achieve balance and develop coping skills.
Mindfulness practices can enhance self-awareness, improve attention, and regulate impulse control. Physical activity and movement have been shown to release endorphins, improve mood and reduce hyperactivity while increasing focus and concentration.
We use several holistic therapy services, including the following:
- Music therapy is a therapeutic approach that utilizes music to address individuals’ physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs. It is provided by trained music therapists who use music interventions to achieve our client’s goals and promote overall well-being.
- Art therapy is utilized for creative expression to promote emotional, psychological, and social well-being. We have trained art therapists who provide the tools and education to make exploration in this mode as a way to unlock trauma and a form of positive self-reflection.
- Yoga is a body-centered approach to healing depression, anxiety, and trauma. It’s used to improve concentration and connect us with our bodies. Yoga effectively regulates cortisol levels and increases a person’s ability to acknowledge their emotions without acting on them.
- Fitness includes both indoor and outdoor recreational activities that allow our clients to leave rehab and experience the world while socializing with peers. From hiking to coffee shops, bowling, and horse farms, new experiences can lead to new outlets to express one’s emotions.
- Movement therapy through dance or bodily movement recognizes the connection between the mind and body. When a person connects the two, the body’s natural response is healing and connectivity.
- Animal therapy combines animals, cats, dogs, horses, and others, into recreational activities to promote enjoyment, socialization, and stress reduction.
- Acupuncture is a Chinese medical practice where thin needles are inserted into specific points of the body. The belief is that the body’s energy flow, the Qi, can restore balance and promote health and well-being.
Evidence-based behavioral health practices are ideal for treating ADHD symptoms and improving mental health. They help individuals learn to cope with their emotions regardless of discomfort and to learn strategies to work through them.
Our behavioral health strategies include the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy makes individuals aware of attention and concentration problems. It improves their organization and time management. They can break down tasks easier to manage their daily lives. CBT builds confidence and controls impulsive behavior. Individuals with ADHD gain confidence and can control impulsive and risky behaviors.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) helps individuals participate in their therapy. Professionals recommend DBT as a treatment for ADHD because it effectively promotes mindfulness and acceptance strategies. DBT teaches essential skills for managing emotions, impulsive behavior, and relationships. Individuals set goals, track progress, and make decisions about their treatment.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is an evidence-based treatment that combines mindfulness and acceptance strategies. ACT focuses on helping individuals develop mental and emotional flexibility during this individual therapy and avoid making risky decisions.
- Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT) helps individuals understand unhelpful thoughts that can lead to negative emotions or behaviors. REBT focuses on the moment and what a person is feeling. Our therapists help you form new ways of approaching challenges, thoughts, and circumstances. The root of the adverse emotions is addressed so that self-sabotaging behavior can taper off.
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a psychotherapy that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress resulting from disturbing life experiences. Repeated studies show that by using EMDR therapy, people can experience the benefits of psychotherapy that once took years to make a difference.
Electrodes on the skull can track these impulses and show how they work. Capturing these pictures can tell us a lot about how the brain communicates. And through this, we can see how substance abuse has affected that communication.
Our ADHD Treatment Programs
When considering each person’s treatment plan, we have different levels of programs that fit the specific needs of our clients. Since each client is different, each treatment program is as well.
Intensive Outpatient Program
Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) are a flexible treatment option without an inpatient stay. Since this is not a residential treatment program, you can maintain your daily routines while addressing your bipolar. IOP aims to stabilize mood swings, manage symptoms, and improve functioning.
Partial Hospitalization Program
A partial hospitalization program (PHP) offers personalized treatment during the day, allowing you to return home at night. It provides intensive treatment, including medication management and counseling, tailored to bipolar disorder. PHP closely watches symptoms, establishes routines, and builds a supportive community. Research shows that PHP significantly improves symptom management and overall quality of life for individuals with bipolar disorder.
Some of our clients have a co-occurring substance abuse condition. A co-occurring substance use disorder (SUD) is when a person has a mental health disorder and substance abuse issue. To cope with the symptoms of the mental disorder, in this case, ADHD, they begin to abuse substances. A sober living community is an ideal option in this case.
It is essential to treat their mental health condition and provide addiction treatment to stop the looping cycle. If necessary, medication management is introduced into their treatment plan.
Our sober living homes offer structured housing that provides additional accountability through drug tests and curfews. Sober living is often used in conjunction with PHP and IOP. Sober Living Homes offer structured accommodations that provide extra accountability through drug tests, curfews, and peer support groups. Sober living is often used with PHP and IOP and makes for an easier transition back to daily life and obligations.
Get the Help You Deserve
ADHD is a complex disorder with varying levels of severity. ADHD usually starts in childhood and can continue into adulthood. People with ADHD have trouble staying focused, keeping still, and controlling their actions. It can affect school, relationships, and daily life. Someone with ADHD might appear careless or scattered. But they don’t have to continue in that manner.
If you or a family member needs support for mental health treatment for ADHD, we encourage you to contact TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health. We offer a safe place to learn psychotherapy techniques and more about behavioral issues.