Life coaching for drug rehab or mental health disorders is a form of support and guidance for our clients. Life coaches work with our clients to help them create a fulfilling and purposeful life.
The therapists and counselors involved with TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health’s life coaching program in Murfreesboro, TN, focus on addressing the psychological aspects of addiction and mental health. Our life coaches focus on practical strategies and skills to support clients in rebuilding their lives.
What is the Role of a Life Coach?
A life coach is an experienced professional who helps you to refine and reach your goals. Your life coach will help you to set up an action plan to achieve your goals. They are meant to hold you accountable while also offering direction along the way.
You can expect the following from your coach:
- Goal Setting and Action Planning: Your life coach will use something similar to a SMART goals approach. Your goals will be specific to your needs, measurable with benchmarks to determine success, achievable, relevant to your recovery, and time-bound so that you know how long you are working toward each goal.
- Personal Development and Growth: You will learn to identify your strengths, values, and passions. These aspects all relate to your personal development and growth. You learn to engage in self-discovery and explore your potential outside of drug addiction and the confines of mental illness.
- Overcoming Obstacles and Limiting Beliefs: Self-limiting beliefs can be destructive. Breaking them can be liberating. Your life coach will teach you strategies to change your mindset and build resilience.
- Accountability and Support: You will undertake several changes throughout your time with your life coach. To be consistent and successful, you need accountability. That’s a role provided by your life coach. You will receive ongoing support, motivation, and encouragement.
- Work-life Balance and Well-being: Your life coach can help you achieve work-life balance, establish boundaries, and practice self-care. You will learn how to manage stress, time management, and the need for healthy boundaries.
- Career and Professional Development: Sometimes, life can be thrown off-course, or we lose sight of previous career goals. Your life coach can help you discover a path based on your strengths and interests.
How is Life Coaching Different from Traditional Therapy?
Individual therapy focuses on each person’s unique needs. This therapeutic approach recognizes specific concerns, and therapists develop specialized goals for each individual. While we offer individual therapy because it is ideal for some of our clients, there are variations to life coaching. For some, these variations make all the difference.
Traditional therapy focuses on psychological issues, mental health disorders, and emotion regulation. Individual treatment starts with your past experiences and possible trauma causing your present distress. Life coaching focuses on goals and looking forward to the future for personal growth.
In a traditional therapy session, you will receive evidence-based treatments such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT). Evidence-based practices are beneficial because they provide a framework for treatment. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has studied, evaluated, and approved these practices.
Life coaches do use components of evidence-based approaches. Still, they also have various tools to help you achieve your goals, increase self-awareness, and develop practical skills to improve your quality of life.
Traditional therapy can take many sessions depending on what is uncovered in your sessions that need time to heal and overcome. On the other hand, life coaching is shorter and connected to the amount you need to achieve the goals you develop.
Traditional therapy is typically covered under most insurance plans. You will also receive a diagnosis for any mental health conditions if needed. Meanwhile, life coaching is usually not covered by insurance and is paid out of pocket.
Benefits of a Life Coaching Program
A life coach can benefit individuals seeking personal and professional growth. Here are some key advantages of working with a life coach:
- Goal Clarity and Achievement: Understanding the direction you want to pursue or knowing the steps to get there can be overwhelming for some individuals. While we know what goals are, sometimes defining them with appropriate parameters takes guidance from an expert. When goals have a clear beginning and end with meaningful steps along the way, the likelihood of reaching them soars.
- Enhanced Self-Awareness: You can expect your life coach to ask you thought-provoking questions you never considered. When we change our thinking, we begin to see ourselves and the world through a different lens. This increases self-discovery and self-awareness. When you stop limiting yourself, you can start reaching your full potential.
- Improved Confidence and Empowerment: A life coach can show you how to increase self-confidence. You become open to embracing new experiences when equipped with the proper tools. It’s not about changing who you are. It’s about recognizing the capabilities you already had but never tapped into.
- Accountability and Motivation: When you get into the habit of being held accountable by your life coach, that extends to your daily life. You develop a sense of responsibility and are motivated to keep it going. You learn how to process constructive feedback and overcome setbacks if they arise.
- Personal Growth and Development: Life coaching doesn’t target one growth aspect. It’s a multifaceted approach to developing self-care practices, managing stress, improving relationships, and developing work-life balance. This is the key to living a well-rounded life.
- Improved Decision-Making and Problem-Solving Skills: For some people, making a decision takes time and effort. This can lead to risky behaviors, putting yourself in harm’s way, or other adverse consequences. Life coaches’ questioning allows you to think critically, weigh your options, and make an informed decision.
- Work-Life Balance and Well-being: The most critical aspect of self-care is being aware of your well-being. Setting boundaries, understanding your values and what doesn’t work, and caring for yourself contribute to a positive work-life balance.
- Career Guidance and Advancement: Goals are essential in your personal life, but to keep the work-life balance you work to achieve, it’s also necessary to have career-oriented goals. Being dissatisfied in the workplace can directly impact home life. Coaches can also assist with networking, résumés, interviewing, and entrepreneurial interests.
- Overcoming Procrastination and Building Productivity: Life coaches assist clients in overcoming procrastination and improving productivity. They help clients identify underlying causes of procrastination, develop strategies to overcome it and establish effective time management techniques.
- Supportive Partnership: Working with a life coach provides a supportive and non-judgmental partnership. Coaches create a safe space for clients to express themselves, explore their aspirations, and share their challenges. Both parties must be open to trusting, confidentiality, and welcoming an environment that makes room for growth and development.
Why Choose TRUE?
Connection and love sets us apart in how we serve our clients. Our services are well-thought-out and strategized to facilitate every person’s need to support their path to recovery. We provide clinical programs integrating life coaching while providing comprehensive physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental assessments.
We begin by finding the TRUE roots within a person, including their core beliefs, values, and connections. By treating the wholeness of a person, we supply the environment for a person to focus on their physical well-being. For the emotional, mental, and spiritual, TRUE offers group therapy with a personalized curriculum developed by the TRUE healing team.
Our concepts move our clients away from sitting in a group room all day and move them in multiple avenues to find the solution.
We have a set of values that guide each client we serve.
Transformation: Challenging people to be willing to change into the person they have dreamed of becoming and changing their beliefs into a life of TRUE purpose and value.
Connection: Creating an environment for a person to find their TRUE authentic self, connecting to love, honesty, integrity, passion, and purpose, all while being in a conducive safe place of refuge.
Community: Developing a TRUE meaning of belonging without judgment on their values, goals, and beliefs.
Courage: A daily reprieve to find the strength to pursue your hopes and believe you can do it by being persistent without relenting to achieve the result you sought to find.
Consistency: Having faithfulness to be firmly grounded and rooted into your just cause to locate purpose and the TRUE meaning in life.
Love: Having no judgment, being kind, gentle, patient, not resentful, forgiving, understanding, compassionate, and sacrificing to serve others, all while being TRUE to self.
T.R.U.E: Transforming Roots Unto Eternity
Get Help Today
Life coaches are essential to our intensive outpatient (IOP), partial hospitalization (PHP), and sober living programs at TRUE Addiction and Behavioral Health. Clients benefit from this service as it aids in recovery and long-term success.
Our dedicated team of life coaches works with our clients to promote personal and professional growth. If you need support, call us today so we can match you with a life coach that meets your specific needs.